INTEGRAL WORLD: EXPLORING THEORIES OF EVERYTHING
An independent forum for a critical discussion of the integral philosophy of Ken Wilber
Publication dates of essays (month/year) can be found under "Essays".
HUGH MARTIN is listed in Who's Who in America and Who's Who in the World. He has appeared on numerous talk shows, led seminars at many colleges and corporations, and spoken at numerous professional conferences and colloquia. Mr. Martin is president of the FINRA-registered securities brokerage firm, Hugh Martin Securities, and of the SEC-registered investment advisory firm, Hugh Martin & Co. Hugh is also president and co-founder of the life planning and counseling firm, Whole Life Counseling. AMALIA KAYE MARTIN ('Kaye') is an early-education specialist, a gifted natural medicine practitioner, and an instructor in nutrition and natural medicine at Baumann College.
JOSEPH CAMPBELL, &
THE MEANING OF LIFE
How Two Great Thinkers Collaborate to Give Us
The Ultimate Hero's Journey of Personal Growth & Human Development
System #7 -- Evolution & Involution
Hugh & Kaye Martin
Hugh & Kaye Martin's new book presents a unique, new way of viewing personal growth and human development. In this series, Integral World presents excerpts from the Advanced Version, Volume 1 -- sections of the book that were omitted from IW's previously-published Introductory Version -- because they are more complex, more speculative, or more controversial than the rest of the book.
Ken Wilber's terms 'Evolution & Involution,' 'Height & Depth,' 'U-Shaped Pattern,' and 'Transcend & Include' from Integral Psychology. How do these terms square with the Martin's new ADAPT Model? Those features are consolidated into a major form of growth, which likewise is called 'Evolution & Involution.'
Evolution & Involution are the twin processes by which Directional Growth takes place: Evolution occurs in an 'Ascending' Direction. Involution occurs in a 'Descending' Direction. These excerpts explain these terms and show some important ways they impact your life:
- The Ascending Direction (upward and outward). Where we direct our growth toward Achievement, Psychological Maturity, Aliveness, and Enlightenment.
- The Descending Direction (downward and inward). Where we direct our growth toward Fulfillment, Authenticity, Grounding, and Compassion.
- Life Trajectories. Where we show how Evolution & Involution are played out over the course of a lifetime -- with a transition between the two that is often characterized by a wrenching Mid-Life Crisis.
- The Transcend & Include Cycle. A special case of Evolution & Involution. We normally grow through a process of Evolution -- unless impeded by a pernicious Shadow Self. Through a process of Involution, the Shadow Self is incorporated back into our personality, so that normal Evolution Growth may resume.
- To show you how the processes of Evolution & Involution help people to grow, we present two case studies:
- Ransome -- The cut-throat businessman, plagued by migraines and depression, who breaks through his mental prison and rediscovers his feisty, loveable Inner Child.
- The Prophet Moses -- The Prince of Egypt, who is plunged into a Mid-Life Crisis, when God orders him to return to Egypt to confront a raging Pharaoh and lead his people to the Promised Land.
 The process of Evolution & Involution applies Ken Wilber's terms to the subject of Human Development. It does not purport to describe the full implications of Wilber's concepts.
Click here to read the PDF (15MB) of
Instalment #3, System #7 -- Evolution & Involution
directly in your browser
(Or right-click on the link to save this PDF to your computer.)
We recommend you read this book by opening a two-page spread, just as if you were reading a printed book. To do this, please right-click this link to download this PDF installment and save it to your computer. Then double-click to open the file in Adobe Acrobat. Then go to View > Page Display > And check: Two-Page View, Gaps Between Pages, and Show Cover Page. If possible, view the book on a big monitor. This way you'll get the full impact of all the graphics and tables in the book's two-page, six-perspective format.
The Human Odyssey series comes in four versions of differing lengths -- with three editions of each: Color, Black-&-White, and Kindle. The authors recommend beginning with the Quickstart Color Version.
To see all buying options for The Human Odyssey, click this Amazon link
To buy this book use the
Amazon ads at the top of this page.
Publication History “The Human Odyssey”
- The Human Odyssey, Our Journey of Life from Infancy to Eternity
- Ken Wilber, Joseph Campbell & the Meaning of Life